Your Donation Makes a Difference!
The Leadership in Medicine for the Underserved (LMU) program at Michigan State University's College of Human Medicine (MSU-CHM) was established for medical students in 2004 to prepare a cohort of physicians that possess, in addition to the fundamental core of knowledge and skills for the medical degree, a special set of knowledge, skills and attitudes that will enable them to lead efforts to address the needs of medically underserved populations of the United States and internationally. LMU students are selected via a supplemental application process at the time of admission to the college. Students are required to express interest in the program via essay and letter of intent, as well as detailing specific qualifications and experiences consistent with the mission of the program. The program has grown in size from 3 to 15 students per class over the past 4 years.
As part of the LMU program, MSU-CHM students work with The Foundation for the International Medical Relief of Children (FIMRC) to provide care to underserved populations outside of the United States. During the fourth year, students will travel to Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Uganda, India, or Peru to gain knowledge about medicine in international settings, acquire competency in Spanish, and employ public health methods in meeting population needs. Students receive daily Spanish/culture classes, participate in community public health efforts and receive didactic sessions on clinical and public health topics.
Please consider making a donation to the Leadership in Medicine for the Underserved.
100% of your donations will go towards the purchase of medications, medical and dental supplies for the patients and families in need.
Supplies needed include but are not limited to the following:
Antibiotics (for respiratory, GI, UTI infections)
- Anti-fungals (for yeast, nail, and skin fungal infections)
- Anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen, naproxen, acetaminophen)
- Folic acid supplements
- Multi-vitamins (for adults and children)
- Iron supplements
- Bronchodilators (puff)
- Dental supplies (toothbrushes, paste, and floss)
- Click on the "DONATE ONLINE" link below. A new window will pop up.
- Click the "Add to Cart" button to the right of the Leadership in Medicine for the Underserved.
- Enter the amount you wish to donate under the "My Gift Cart" heading.
- Click "Proceed to Checkout" on the bottom of the page.
- Follow the directions to enter the requested information.
Mail monetary gifts to:
LEADERSHIP IN MEDICINE FOR THE UNDERSERVED-FLINT
Michigan State University
300 Spartan Way
East Lansing, MI 48824-1005
Thank you for supporting the MSU CHM Leadership in Medicine for the Underserved!